28 January 2012

Lychee-Lemongrass Lovelies

It's not even the end of January yet and I'm starting to get slack! I think the weather has drained me of ideas.

For a few days there, it was sunny and perfect.  We were out mountain-biking at every opportunity. Great fun- I've got the bruises to prove it! The heat inspired me to make something icy cold to sip on, which I thought would be the perfect thing for the return home at the end of a good ride. My mind went to lychees, delicious and in season... and which I don't think I've ever "cooked" with, only ever eaten them just as they are.

Unfortunately the weather turned monotonously rainy and all of a sudden we were stuck inside unable to hit the trails. Polly has been whining constantly and looking at us miserably... and now, icy treats aren't exactly at the top of the foods I want to eat. Nevertheless, I had all these things frozen and I did want to see how this might turn out. So here is the recipe for a lovely little icy treat that will hit the spot when this rain starts clearing and we start sweltering in the Queensland summer again.

Lychee-Lemongrass Lovelies

Ingredients
10-12 lychees
2-3 stalks of lemon grass
water

Method
Peel and de-seed the lychees, chop them up roughly, and freeze.
Smash up the lemongrass stalks and boil up some water (to make about a cup) and make some lemongrass tea (just sit the stalks into the water and let it sit for 10 minutes).
Discard the stalks and freeze the lemon grass tea. I recommend that you pour it into little ice cubes.
Once it's all frozen, put the lychees and tea in the blender (you'll need a good blender!) to make a frappe-like consistency.
If you like- garnish the top with a little bit of mint.
Spoon or sip through a straw! 
This is pretty subtle but delicious and refreshing. There'd be absolutely nothing wrong with spiking this one with some vodka!
NB: If the heat has left you feeling lazy- I don't blame you- I suspect this would work out well with tinned lychees too.
icy treat

No comments:

Post a Comment